This recipe is perfect for decorating cakes. It allows you to go for a lighter frosting as many people find the traditional American buttercream too sweet. Stabilising the icing means that the frosting holds up well and will not just melt or collapse straight away.
- Plain Powdered Gelatin 1 teaspoon
- Cold Water 1-1/2 tablespoons
- Boiling Water 1-1/2 tablespoons
- Bloom the gelatin in the cold water.
- Let stand about 5 minutes.
- Add the boiled water to the gelatin mixture and stir to dissolve.
- Use immediately in the recipe below
Stabilized Whipped Cream Recipe
- 2 cups Heavy/double Cream
- ¼ cup Confectioners/icing Sugar (may need to add more , depends on the sweetness of the cake you will be using)
- The entire stabilizer recipe from above
- First prepare the gelatin stabilizer from above. reserve.
- Using a cold bowl, whip and heavy cream whip the cream and gradually add the sugar.
- Whip to soft – medium peaks and then add the melted stabilizer all at once
- Continue to whip for a few seconds longer until desired consistency.
- Use immediately on your cakes and desserts
Recipe taken from Gretchens Bakery.
There’s also a video tutorial of this recipe on her website!