Recipe taken from: The Farm Chick
Notes: Make cupcakes without the icing for a great lunchbox snack. These cupcakes are extremely moist and chocolatey .
- 1cup sugar
- 1cup brown sugar
- 1 3/4cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 veg oil
- 2tsp vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 Tub Betty Crocker Tempting Chocolate Icing
- Preheat oven to 180oc and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners
- Sift the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl
- Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat with a mixer for about 2 mins
- Add the boiling water and beat until just blended. At this point the batter will be extremely runny
- Pour the batter into the liners and bake for 20-25 mins until the centre of the cupcakes pring back when lightly touched
- Once cooled pipe on the chocolate icing if desired.
Link to original recipe: http://thefarmchicks.typepad.com/farmchicks/2009/01/moist-chocolate-cupcakes-with-vanilla-buttercream.html
This is probably the longest post I’ve done so far but these cupcakes are worth it. They do take a while to make but the flavour is exceptional and perfect for a special treat or even to give to your favourite person.
For the Cupcakes
- 339g / 3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups light brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
For the Cookie Dough Filling
- 57g/ 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 85g/6 tbsp. light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 7 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
For the Cookie Dough Frosting
- 170g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 48g cup light brown sugar, packed
- 227g cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- To make the Filling cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl on medium-high speed until light and fluffy(approx2 minutes).
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the mixture has firmed up a bit, (approx1 hour).
To make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F/ 180°c.
- Using the paddle attachment on your mixer, combine the butter and brown sugar. Cream together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, approx 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl .
- In another bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until all mixed.
- Alternating add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl with the milk on low speed, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, mixing each addition just until incorporated.
- Blend in the vanilla.
- Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly between 24 cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- After cupcakes have cooled, fill the cupcakes by cutting a cone-shaped portion out of the center of each cupcake. Fill each hole with a chunk of the chilled cookie dough mixture.
To make the Frosting
- Beat butter and brown sugar with the paddle attachment on high speed until creamy and fluffy.
- Mix in the confectioners’ sugar, milk, vanilla extract and salt until smooth and combined. If icing is too stiff add a little more milk.
- Pipe on frosting as desired and decorate with drizzled melted dark chocolate and milk chocolate chips.
Recipe taken from Tidy Mom