Ingredients: (i used double these quantities, except for the sugar syrup which i kept the same)
For vanilla cake
- Caster sugar 1 cup
- Butter 1/2 cup at room temprature
- eggs 2 large at room temprature
- vanilla extract 1 tsp
- plain flour 1-1/2 cup
- milk 3/4 cup at room temprature
- baking powder 1 tsp
- gold 8” cake drum
For fresh cream topping
- double cream almost 600 g
- vanilla extract 2 tsp
- icing sugar 6 tbsp
- food colour of your choice
For sugar syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
1. Preheat oven on 180 C/ 160 C fan, Sieve plain flour and baking powder. Set a side.
2. In a clean bowl add butter and sugar. Beat it until creamy for almost 3-4 minutes…then add eggs 1 by 1 and beat well.
4. Now add some sifted flour and mix.
5. Then add some milk and mix….do this again and again until you mix all flour and milk in it.
6. Line butter paper in two deep 8 inch cake pans.
7. Divide cake batter in 2 cake pans equally. tap pans. now bake them for 60 minutes until tooth pick insert comes out clean.
8. Take out of oven and allow cakes to cool completely on a wire rack. Remove baking paper.
9. Wrap in cling film and store in fridge if you do not want to use the cakes straight away
10. Once ready to use, grate the sides of the cake.
11. Then make your sugar syrup. Mix 1 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar ,let them boil and cool, this is your sugar syrup ready…
12. Whilst the syrup is cooling. Take chilled double cream and beat it
13. When its slightly thick add sifted icing sugar, food colouring (if using) and vanilla essence…beat until stiff peaks. Set aside whilst you assemble your cakes.
14. Now it’s time to assemble the cake. Take cake board, keep 1 cake on it, apply sugar syrup on cake including the sides, then apply some strawberry jam on it…then spread some whipped cream on top and finally place second cake on top.
15. Cover cake in a layer of cream then pipe on desired design.
16. Store cake in fridge until ready to serve
Original recipe from https://funcooking.co.uk/desserts/fresh-cream-cake/