If you like teacakes then you should like this recipe. It’s a cake of different textures: crisp chocolate outer shell, enrobing a sweet and smooth marshmallowy topping, sitting on top of a moist chocolate sponge cake. What more could you ask for?
- 1 batch of chocolate cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups/12 oz dark chocolate
- 3 tbsp canola/ veg oil
Link to the cake recipe: Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes.
For the meringue:
1. Put the sugar, water, egg whites and cream of tartar in a heatproof bowl and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until opaque, white, and foamy, about 1 min.
2. Set the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Beat on high speed until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 12 mins; frosting should register 160°f /71°c
3. Remove from the heat; stir in the vanilla extracts and beat for 2 mins until frosting thickens. The filling will become firmer as it cools on the cupcakes.
Pour the mixture into a pastry bag and pipe the icing onto the cakes.
Put the cupcakes in freezer for several hours or overnight.
Melt the chocolate and mix in the oil. Allow to cool a little then dip the cupcakes into the melted chocolate coating all of the meringue mixture. Then leave to set and enjoy!