These cupcakes look so bright and summery and taste lovely too.
Makes around 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1.5 cups/175g Plain Flour (sifted)
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 50g/113g soft butter
- half a 3/4 cup/175g sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup/120ml milk at room temp
For the buttercream:
- 100g/3½oz soft butter
- 200g/7oz icing sugar, plus ½ tsp for dusting
- ½ tsp pure vanilla
- 1 packet of dark chocolate chips
For the cupcakes
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) with rack in center of oven.
2. In a bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition then add the vanilla. Alternately add the flour mixture and the milk beginning and ending with the flour. So flour, milk, flour, milk, flour. Mix until just combined.
4. Line your cupcake pan with your cupcake cases and evely divide the batter between the cases. Bake for 15-20 mins or until a toothpick insertedinto the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed.
5. Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool, once they are completely cooled you can begin to frost them .
For the buttercream
Put the butter in a bowl and sift the icing sugar on top. Add the vanilla extract and beat with a wooden spoon or an electric whisk until very light and smooth. Add some yellow gel food colouring and whisk until the colour is all incoroporated. Spoon into a clean piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle and pipe petal shapes. Finally add some chocolate chips in the middle to create your finished sunflower.
Variations: You can make these with chocolate cupcakes too.
Notes: Cupcake recipe taken from joy of baking.com http://www.joyofbaking.com/VanillaCake.html
Buttercream recipe taken from the Hairy Bikers