Chocolatey, crunchy and marshamallowy these rocky road bars are great fun and the kids will love them.
Notes: You can make these with popcorn instead of biscuits. This would add variety and it’s also healthier too.
- 125 grams soft butter
- 300 grams best-quality dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids) broken into pieces ( Even though it doesn’t match the description, I use Cadbury’s Bourneville chocolate as it’s more affordable and I like the taste)
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 200 grams rich tea biscuits or any other biscuit you prefer
- 100 grams mini marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar (for dusting)
- Melt the butter, chocolate and golden syrup in a heavy-based saucepan. Scoop out about 125ml / ½ cup of this melted mixture and put to one side.
- Put the biscuits into a freezer bag and then bash them with a rolling pin. You are aiming for both crumbs and pieces of biscuits.
- Fold the biscuit pieces and crumbs into the melted chocolate mixture in the saucepan, and then add the marshmallows.
- Tip into a foil tray (24cm / 9 inch square); flatten as best you can with a spatula. Pour the reserved 125ml / ½ cup of melted chocolate mixture over the marshmallow mixture and smooth the top.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours or overnight.
- Cut into 24 fingers and dust with icing sugar by pushing it gently through a tea strainer or small sieve.
Recipe taken from Nigella Lawson